What kind of writer are you?
- I like to:
- Develop complex characters with strong voices in a story with propelling narrative drive
- Discover and explore lost stories, lost voices
- Bring the past to life and make it relevant
- Write stories that help me see and inhabit something new about the world or myself
- I’m an obsessive apprentice to books.
Who are your favorite authors?
- Hillary Mantel
- David Mitchell
- Adam Johnson
- Anthony Doerr
- Geraldine Brooks
- Ken Follett
- Toni Morrison
- Wallace Stegner
- Penelope Fitzgerald
- Classics: Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, William Faulkner, Harper Lee
- Non-fiction: Doris Kearns Goodwin, Walter Isaacson
What are you currently reading?
- Quiet Until the Thaw by Alexandra Fuller
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan
- Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
- Collected Poems by Mark Strand
- The Best American Short Stories 2017
- The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
- The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck